Most people haven’t heard of Malta, I know hadn’t up until a few years ago, so here is some information I’ve come across while researching this little island.
The Important Stuff:
- Malta is the smallest country in the European Union located 50 miles off the coast of Sicily in the Mediterranean Sea.
- The whole country is 17 x 9 miles.
- Currency: Euro
- Languages: Maltese & English
- Temperature: Average in the coldest month, February, is 59 degrees. Average in the hottest months, July-September, is 89 degrees. Ranked 1st for having the best climate in the World by International Living Magazine.
- Ranked 5th in the World for standard of medical care (the US is 37th).
The Fun Stuff:
- Home to some of the oldest freestanding structures in the World!
- They drive on the left side of the road because they used to be part of England.
- Valletta, the current capital, is one of the most concentrated historical areas in the world.
- The Temple of Ggantija is older than the Egyptian pyramids.
- The megalithic temples are older than England’s Stonehenge.
- Many believe that Malta was part of the lost city of Atlantis.
- Game of Thrones has filmed there.